Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Ramble---July 10, 2008

Well... the week is rapidly coming to an end, and as I reflect back it has been a really productive week.

My grandson finally called me. He was overwhelmed with the care of a very pregnant fiancee who finally delivered a baby girl on Sunday. He moved into a new apartment almost alone without help, and he started a new job in an industry--mortgage--that he has been "talking" about for quite awhile. He sounded so tried but like an excited man who has accomplished some of his goals. He is even talking about buying his first house within the next three years. He is really concerned that his uncles and family are proud of him. I assured him that we are excited and proud of his accomplishments especially for a twenty three year old man. When I told him about his young cousin’s defense of his "busy--ness"and her demonstration of him assisting his fiancee through her labor... He had a little giggle.

He told me that they didn’t need anything for the apartment or the baby. I am really surprised because I was so destituted when I first started out that I needed everything. Then, I remembered; I had taught him how to manage his money when he stayed with me for two years. Of course, I am proud of him, and I told him so--I could see his smile over the phone.

Today my eight year old granddaughter went to the Miami Seaquarium. Her dad can’t wait to hear her account of the visit, and neither can I.

Right now, I am teaching a Reading 2 class, and I have been having a good time showing them how to time read for comprehension. I like the class, and they are doing quite well.

As the week comes to a close, I want to think of a way to entertain my grand for the weekend--cheaply. It is really hard with the summer thunder showers which come in every day at the same time. She told me, in earnest, that at camp the kids kneel on their knees in a circle and pray for the rain to stop so that they can go swimming. I don’t blame the counselors because to be stuck in a small building with 50 kids and videos and board games for entertainment and the possibility of "he looked at me" wars to start is a little too much for my imagination.

I look forward to the coming week and all the new possbilities and problems and for me to be more civil. I was really grouchy this week.

I am slowly coming down to Earth... watch out for the THUMP.

No comments: