Wednesday, July 16, 2008

And, the Bribe Goes On

Ooh!!! Now you know that my admitting to a charge of bribery is so beneath me on all levels--be it mother, grandmother, great grandmother, aunt, or sister, for I am almost ashamed to admit it. However, one way to feel redeemed on some level is to say it out loud. Much like a member of AA--Alcoholic’s Anonymous. You have to proclaim your guilt to the world. I am a "Bribe rous Person" I have become a "Briberholic." "I am a Briberholic." There now I said it. I have unabashedly proclaimed to bribery.

My 8 year old granddaughter is addicted to the Webkinz--little stuffed animals that one plays with online. She likes to beg for them. So, I decided that if she gets up in the mornings on her own without my prompting her, tickling her, sprinkling her with water, or calling her Dad to give her a wake up call that I would buy her a new Webkinz at the end of each week. And so, when I posed the offer to her, she jumped on it right away. To make the offer even juicer, we went on eBay to find one. We bidded on a "Pug" and a "Chihauhua" and won both of them. And so, we are expecting them this week. It is like expecting a child or something extra special to arrive. She is so excited she wants to know where I am going to hide them. It is just like Christmas. I told her a friend at work would guard over them, so my grand will not be able to redeem them until she has proven to keep up her end of the bargain. No "x’s" for an entire week. Well, maybe one or two we aren’t perfect.

When I was sharing our bargain with her camp counselor, Ms. P, she really likes our arrangment. I almost feel vindicated on some level.

This morning I called my grand on her phone to get her up. Because she didn’t get up on her own as she had promised. However, she was almost pleasant.... I know she is not a morning person because she would rather stay up all night. It really feels good to get this off my conscience.
I am a Bribe rous Person. I am a Briberyholic. I am a Briberholic. Well, if the shoe fits, wear it.

No comments: