Thursday, July 3, 2008

An Old Fart--The Stinker

Day six
On Friday the alarm went off at 5:30am, I hit the snooze button, and lay in bed until 5:45 am. I was tried to the bone, but my body has a way of quickly reviving itself. I guess it is because of so many years of running on such a stressful schedule. About 5:45 am I took my shower and started to dress and mentally plan out the day. When I called the Grand at 6:00 am, she just grunted and went back to sleep. She did not do her usual sleep walk type of get up and get ready. She just did not want to move. She said, "I don’t want to go to camp." Well, I could appreciate her wanting to shut down. I considered what I really had to do at work that day. So, I told her we would take a day off. "Go back to sleep!" She looked at me with a disbelieving expression, "For real?" "Yes, go back to sleep." She slept until 11:00 am or later. The poor child is exhausted, too.

About 2:00 pm for lunch, it was her choice, we went to the all you can eat Chinese restaurant. She gorged herself with noodles. I would not buy a sugary soft drink for lunch or a pair of polka dot wedgy espadrilles from Payless, so I was high on her "dodo" list. Of course, you know I could care less.

Before we left home, I told her that we could "window shop," which means we would shop without spending money. We would just dream about the things we want. I committed a "no, no" because I picked up a trinket for my vestibule--which I thought I could use and the price was right. She wanted to know why I could spend money and not her. I told her she didn’t have enough money, espadrilles are not for an 8 yo, and I was the "bread winner." Well, you know the questions started to pour out of that "question bank" that most 8 year old have. She could not seem to understand that I work for my money, and I have a right to spend my money on whatever I wanted. She wanted to know where she fit into the scheme of this money thing. I know it was a teachable moment, but I blew it. She started to act really unreasonable, so I called her an "old fart." Boy, I thought the tantrum would be enough for me to go to jail. I thought, "What a salty child, I have." She told me about my calling her a name. I told her that is how you are acting. I would never have called a sweet child such an awful name if she weren’t acting the part.

The day was very wearing for me. I am so glad that I took the day off. That evening after she had another long nap; then, she couldn’t stop eating. Then, she bugged me about my date who did not show up because I think he forgot the day and time of one my best friends 50th birthday party.

Later, She cornered me in my bedroom and apologized profusely for her nastiness. She hugged and kissed me and just wanted to cuddle. I told her I can understand what is going on with her. I really appreciate what she has been doing to help her dad with his new executive position and me because I still have to work for a short while. I told her that life always has a way of thinning itself out. We have to ride life like a roller coaster some times the up’s and some times the down’s. It is just how we choose to react to the up’s and down’s that are important. If we try to stay balance during those trying times no matter what, the going doesn’t seem so rough in the end.

She just mused and started to ask for more concessions and more questions--I don’t think that "question bank" ever closes.

She is back to her old self "Sweetie."

No comments: