Thursday, June 12, 2008

Email to Catalyst News

Dear cat20510-news@yahoo.com,

My name is Karean Williams, I referenced the Pointer sisters' song "I'm So Excited." Recently, I wrote a journal entry on http://www.aarp.org/, and my entry has been on the front page for almost a week, and thus far has received 1800 hits. Needless to say, I am excited that so many people have read my entry. As per you request, I would like to participate in some of the media that you detailed in your comment to my entry. I don't know what aspects of my retirement that would be of interested.

I am just a little older than a Boomer; however, I am a late bloomer, so I started my working experience a little later than most people my age. It seems as though I am one of the first to get advance degrees in my forties because there weren't too many "blue heads" when I was trying to pursue my degrees. Despite that fact, I earned enough money over the ensuing 20 years to develop a retirement income that is better than just poor. I continue to espouse to women and men alike who did not attain a degree in their younger years that an advance education or vocational certification in a field they like really does make a difference in one's life--financially, emotionally, and physically.

I have tried to be an example and mentor to the students who are a little older and seem to be embarrassed to be in classes with younger students; however, many who did not take their schooling serious as youngsters find the classes much more stimulating and interesting. They are usually excited to see how much easier it is to learn and how fast they comprehend the information. Also, I share with them that they came to the class with much more experience, information and knowledge about life than the younger students who are often there because of "you either go to work or go to school, but you can't sit around the house," or they are mandated by a judge--not a happy camper. I would not call them voluntary students.

Back to my retirement, I have been plotting my retirement for about 30 years. I just decided that I need a source of income other than social security to see me through the fall and winter seasons of my life. I have tried many avenues to try to develop a residual source so that the money would always be coming in whether I went out to work or not. It has been an education in itself. Believe me, I have listened to many "hucksters" as they have sold so many ideas, but trying to choose a product or idea that would serve me--and my family--and not the "huckster" and/or "Uncle Sam." I have not won the battle. However, I just keep listening and hoping not to make a wrong decision because I don't have millions to invest only a few hundred.

I no longer have time on my side; therefore, I will have to be a little more cunning with my practices and decisions. I would be able to share some of my experiences and drawbacks because I too am very consciously looking for alternatives to living a good life in retirement.

Thanks for your interest.

Karean Williamshttp://mc589.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=khaiwms@msn.com

No comments: